There is a LOT of overwhelming information on the internet these days…. some accurate, some not… regarding how to treat these conditions. Your child does NOT have to be drugged into numbness indefinitely. There are a variety of natural medicine approaches that can help address these conditions. I have treated kids ranging from mild ADD to severe Autism for 17+ years and have witnessed a tremendous amount of benefit to these children based on some of the information I am going to list here. Please consult with a doctor trained in naturopathic/functional medicine to address your child’s specific needs:
- The number one treatment approach involves dietary changes. This is the foundation to your plan. Ideally, have your child tested for food intolerances/allergies and remove the ones he/she is reactive too for a certain period of time (not indefinitely). I use MRT Leaps 150 Foods by Oxford Biomed. While waiting on results for this test I have parents withdrawal food dyes/additives, artificial sweeteners, casein, gluten, and soy. These are the most common allergens and often play a significant role in their behaviors.
- Another test I strongly recommend if possible (and sometimes insurance will pay for the majority of this through Genova Diagnostics EZ Pay program) is their NutraEval – which is an EXTREMELY comprehensive profile that is very helpful in outlining a targeted approach to addressing your child’s specific underlying metabolic issues. This panel also includes an organic acids test, RBC metals and minerals, plasma amino acids, essential fatty acids profile, and many other useful markers.
- Neurotransmitter testing – I use Northbay Diagnostic’s Neurotransmitter Basic profile.
- A comprehensive stool test can be extremely helpful as well because many of these kids deal with dysbiosis (an overgrowth of “bad” bacteria and/or yeast), malabsorption, inflammation, infection (bacteria, yeast or parasite), and lower numbers of friendly bacteria. The test I run most often is the GI Effects – also by Genova Diagnostics.
- A good multi vitamin/mineral formula, purified fish oil, and high quality probiotics are a very important nutritional foundation for children who suffer from these conditions. One of my favorite multi vitamin and mineral formulas is Agape by Awaken Nutrition. The other supplements I choose from high quality companies such as: Pure Encapsulations, Designs for Health, Metagenics, Xymogen, Thorne Research, Allergy Research, Researched Nutritional, Douglas Labs, Klaire Labs, and a few others. Most of these are available only through healthcare practitioners.
- Results of a small clinical trial suggest that a chemical derived from broccoli sprouts — I recommend SulforaClear by Metagenics or OncoPlex by Xymogen – and best known for claims that it can help prevent certain cancers — may ease classic behavioral symptoms in those with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs).The study, a joint effort by scientists at MassGeneral Hospital for Children and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, involved 40 teenage boys and young men, ages 13 to 27, with moderate to severe autism.In a report published online in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences during the week of Oct. 13, the researchers say that many of those who received a daily dose of the chemical sulforaphane experienced substantial improvements in their social interaction and verbal communication, along with decreases in repetitive, ritualistic behaviors, compared to those who received a placebo. Here is a link if you would like to read more about this from Johns Hopkins – click here.
- This list is by no means all inclusive. There are many more things that can help including bio-feedback, ABA therapy, Occupational Therapy, cranial sacral therapy, chiropractic, acupuncture, art therapy, etc, etc.
I sure hope the information in this article helps parents and their children who are dealing with one of these conditions. Please contact us at 913-333-8798 or email@example.com for more information.
Sincerely – Michael D. Brown, ND